Test

  Home About Me Creations Oh Snap!  

Shop Til Ya Drop

Sweet Brittany from Sweet Seconds wrote "I'm just starting our economics unit with my sweets and am hoping you have a post about your favorite thing to teach! That would be awesome to do with my kiddos. I've been toying around with the idea in my head and you are convincing me it's worth it!" 
I happen to love Market Days. We do this every year. I've done Market days in the winter and also in the spring. After we do a week long unit on Consumers and Producers we break into groups to create a product or service to sell. 
Here are some goods we've sold in the past:
notecards 
cookies 
chocolate dipped pretzels
chocolate dipped spoons
ornaments
wrapping paper (butcher paper stamped with stamps)
slime
oobleck
hot chocolate
lemonade
Most items are around $1. This way the students don't  have worry too much about change. We do it as a grade level but you could easily do it as a class. You can invite parents, teachers, other students or have it just within your class.

We usually plan about a week getting organized, producing our product, and marketing our store. I show my students videos about starting a business. Our library has a great selection. This year we even made a commercial using Animoto (free for educators) that was aired on our morning announcements.  The students also hung up advertisements around campus to drum up business. This year my class raised over $300. We donated the money to a local charity. There are so many different twists you can do with Market! If you need any advice or ideas please shoot me an email at missnelsonattpt@yahoo.com. 

I have a cute booklet on tpt that covers wants, needs, goods, services, consumers, producers and income. 

3 comments:

  1. When I was in elementary school, we had a "Mother's Day Market." Each classroom in the school made a product that other kids might want to buy their moms, grandmas, etc. for Mother's Day! It was lots of fun, and as a kid I loved having something to give my mom. I think the dads liked being able to give us a couple of dollars and be done with it, too!

    Thanks for sharing your ideas!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny
    A Mother's Day/Father's Day Market sounds awesome. I've done a Christmas one and Valentine's but this one sounds like a wonderful plan. I always loved doing Secret Santa when I was a little girl. Thanks for following me. I have the BEST giveaway in the works. I MEAN AWESOME! Check back soon.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your booklet does look very cute!


    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

LOVE hearing from you!